Saturday, October 26, 2013

Whipped Cream

    This morning, I had every intention of making biscuits and sausage gravy...until I realized our butter supply is practically non existent. Thus, a grocery run became my new intention...until I saw that it was 38 degrees outside. That's when Alec suggested making hot chocolate. Yum!

    A replica of Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate was on our menu this week, until I found Publix doesn't carry English toffee syrup. So, our hot chocolate was created from the basic recipe on Hershey's cocoa boxes.  The whipped cream, however, was a delectable masterpiece. 

Have you seen the picture on Pinterest of the cream filled strawberries? Pinterest actually removed the one I pinned; it seems the original source wasn't too fond of their creation going viral. Anyhew. Normal whipped cream doesn't hold it's shape long enough to use on desserts that won't be immediately consumed. Considering we weren't planning on using all the whipped cream at once, I decided to add some gelatin to my recipe.  Here's what I did:

2 T cold water
1.5 tsp gelatin
1.5 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 c powdered sugar 
1 tsp vanilla

Pour heavy whipping cream in cold mixing bowl (I had mine in the freezer for awhile), set on a medium speed

Combine water and gelatin in small mason jar
Set the glass with the gelatin mixture in a saucepan of simmering water
Stir until gelatin is completely liquified, remove from heat

Set mixer at a higher speed; once it starts thickening, add sugar and vanilla
Add gelatin to whipped cream as it's still whipping
Whip until the cream forms peaks

At this point, I created a fabulous pastry bag:

And topped the hot chocolate in my favorite mug: 



Sutton ratings:
Alec: "Yummy"
Bekah: 5/5
Asher: *signs for more*


No comments:

Post a Comment